Great post by the Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching on outcomes from their first MOOCs. Some of their high level conclusions:
- Teaching online is a team effort.
- There’s more to MOOCs than lecture videos.
- Open content is our friend
- The cognitive diversity seen in MOOCs is far greater than in closed courses
- MOOC students are well-motivated students
- Cognitive Diversity + Intrinsic Motivations = Crowdsourcing Success
- MOOC students can be producers as well as consumers of information
- Accommodating students on different time tables can be challenging
- Instructor presence is important, even in a MOOC